This resource is designed to test your knowledge on Psoriasis.
Aims and objectives
On completion of this resource, you should be able:
- To identify subtypes of psoriasis and their treatment.
- To assess impact of psoriasis e.g. disease severity and psychological/social impact using validated tools eg PASI, DLQI, Physician’s Global Assessment and PEST score.
- To appreciate the association of psoriasis with other conditions e.g. arthritis, cardiovascular disease, alcohol dependence and depression.
- To understand the indications for specialist referral of psoriasis e.g. diagnostic uncertainty, severity (>10% BSA), failure of topical agents, guttate pattern, and severe impact on physical, psychological and social well being.
- To recognise that generalised pustular psoriasis and erythroderma are skin emergencies and must be referred urgently for same-day specialist assessment.
- To understand the risks and benefits of the most commonly used systemic therapies (methotrexate, ciclosporin, acitretin), their contra-indications and the need for monitoring.
- To understand the role of biologic treatments in the control of psoriasis and to have an understanding of the potential risks in this patient group.
Date of publish: 30/3/2017